Unfortunately, I have not seen many films this year. Between getting married, buying a house, and finishing a screenplay, I haven't had much free time. But I did make it to the theater a few times this year, and enjoyed some of the things I saw. As far as literature is concerned, I rarely read new books, so I don't have much to report there. Music is another story. Here is my list of good things from 2006:

FILM
A Prairie Home Companion
The Fountain
Monster House
The Prestige

MUSIC
Hem, "Funnel Cloud"
Sleeping At Last, "Keep No Score"
Peter Bradley Adams, "Gather Up"
Shawn Colvin, "These Four Walls"
Keane, "Under the Iron Sea"
Leeland, "Sound Of Melodies"
Duncan Sheik, "White Limousine"

TV
30 Days
LOST

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey ryan,

i was just curious about what you thought of monster house. i took my ten year old son to see it and left thinking it was pure evil! it seemed to me that they just took things that were supposed to be funny to far.

if you have a chance i'd love to hear what you think.

jj

Ryan Smith said...

I actually really enjoyed Monster House, but I was also surprised by how dark it was. It's certainly not for very young children, but it's a well-made film, full of stylish visuals and offbeat humor.

Anonymous said...

yeah, i know what you mean. i didn't expect any dark stuff and it threw me off a little.... and of course all my son saw was the humor and kids always enjoy the visuals. it's hard when your a parent and have to make decisions about what you think they can handle etc.

anyway, i didn't make a big deal of it. just told him the things i didn't like and that was that..

thanks for your input :)

jj

. said...

wasn't a fan of prarie home companion. what did you like so much about it?

Post a Comment